Monday, February 6, 2017

Elvin Burnish Birches Review



Myself and a handful of other moms in the US are playing round-robin with a lovely batch of wraps from Firespiral right now. Of course, with my exhausted pregnant mom-brain, I totally forgot that I had a wrap on the way. When it arrived, I was thrilled(of course!) but completely baffled... This was a color I hadn't seen anything of! And I could barely guess that it was possibly a wool blend, but if so it was the softest wool I'd ever touched. I was so excited, I don't think I've fallen this hard for a wrap in a long time. On top of that, my hubby loved the colors - said it's something he thinks he'd wear out! Maybe it's just me, but that's a high sign of praise for him..




First impressions: Straight out of the bag, this thing was soft. So snuggly, it draped beautifully, and I had it pegged for a viscose blend! The gray is a beautifully heather color, while the green is lovely, subtle and shiny.

"Right" side

"Wrong" side


I was cautious about washing, but too eager to wait... I snapped a few loom state shots, and started it with a wool setting and detergent on my washer. Still damp, this thing felt like the softest sweater I've ever had. I was fairly confident a tumble on extra-low heat wouldn't hurt it, so I went ahead. It came out 20-30 minutes later, and it felt like the most lovely, fluffy, broken in blanket I could describe. It was totally floppy, but had a slinky drapey-ness to it that felt almost like Cashmere? I was so excited for ups!



This wrap felt quite unique to me - thinner in hand than Grizedale, and less prickly. This is probably due to the blend, which is 87% cotton, 5% merino, and 8% linen... just enough wool and linen to add lovely cushion and support, but not enough to feel a trace of prickle! I feel confident that this will make a fantastic year-round woolie, it wasn't smothering at all even after a 2.5 hour wrap nap!


Look at those pleats!


I got to put my toddler up a few times, but I don't think I got a good feel for how well this will preform with big kids. I'm on restricted toddler wrapping, so we only got about 20 minutes in. That said, in the 20 minutes we had, I felt that Elvin could have kept going a lot longer! The shoulders had a lovely cushion, I didn't have any sagging or digging, and even in warmer temperatures we were totally comfortable. We carried in a ruck and a Double-Hammock, and both were totally comfortable.

Pleeaaaatsss!


 I would definitely want this as a longer size for myself, as I've been favoring multi-pass carries... but I think it would hold well enough as a shorty as well. It felt just a smidgen slippery to me, so I'd be sure to tighten slip-knots well with big kids!

So I'm completely in love with this wrap. I love the feel, the color, the drape, the thickness... I am so looking forward to ordering mine in a few weeks! Now, for a bit more spam...















No comments:

Post a Comment